About Me

I'm Cyd, a teenager from East Yorkshire. Currently an A-Level student studying Media, Financial Studies and BTEC Science. I frequently get asked questions about how I do my make-up, veganism and my life in general so I thought, why not create a blog as it's an easy way to communicate with anyone who's interested in me and the things I do.

Sunday, March 6, 2016

Smoothie Bowls!

If you follow my Instagram or have me on Snapchat you probably know I have smoothie bowls an awful lot. There's a few reasons behind that; firstly, they just taste really good - like healthy sorbet. Secondly it's a good way to get sugary carbs which are essential for your brain to function, third it's an easy way to pack in your 5 a day right at the beginning of the day and fourth, it's a very filling breakfast and if you have a fruit and veg one it fills you up right until lunch.

I'm not saying smoothie bowls' are just a breakfast food, I sometimes make a small one as a snack when I get home from school. I've also had them for dinner and tea, when I do that I include a lot more greens to make it more like an evening meal. In this post I'm just going to simply share my fave smoothie bowl recipes (which can also be normal smoothies if you use less frozen fruit and more water).

My all time fave smoothie bowl is one with frozen mango, kiwi, banana, kale, spinach, a few berries and a splash of orange juice to get it moving. I tend to use a cup of frozen mango chunks, cup of a frozen green smoothie mix from Morrisons which contains more mango, kiwi, kale and spinach then a hand full of what ever frozen berries I have at a time and 1 whole frozen banana. I start blending it up and when the chunks get smaller thats when I add the orange juice, only enough to make it all stick together, too much will turn it into a smoothie. I then put it in a bowl and add my fave toppings (last paragraph). Simple!!




















This smoothie bowl often shocks people when I say it's Nutella flavoured as it's neon green, however it still tastes amazing! For this one I use 1 frozen banana, 1 cup of spinach (hence the green colour), hazelnut butter, half a cup frozen mango chunks, a scoop of The Coconut Collaborative Chocolate Snowconut frozen yoghurt and however much chocolate hazelnut milk is needed to make it stick, I then once again pour this into a bowl and add some toppings, usually pomegranate.




















Green smoothie bowls can also be very nice. I've made one using the same green smoothie mix from Morrisons and then some apple juice, coconut sugar and agave to sweeten it. Also I have made a lime and green tea one, for this I used half an avocado, cup of spinach, 1 whole frozen banana, the zest and juice of a whole lime,green tea leaves (but you can use matcha green tea powder) and coconut water. Once again I put it in a bowl and add some toppings. Also chocolate acai smoothie bowls are nice, same ingredients as the green ones only with 2 scoops Chocolate Snowconut and some acai powder. This one is featured below.



















A more savoury smoothie bowl which comes out in a lovely purple colour is a beetroot smoothie bowl. I made this for the first time today and it was different, I used the Ruby Red smoothie mix from Morrisons which contains mainly beetroot, carrot, blueberries and mango and then I also put in a whole frozen banana and mixed it with almond milk. It was thicker than the other smoothie bowls I've made, more like ice-cream and it was especially nice with the granola as a topping!




















My fave toppings to have on smoothie bowls are chia seeds flax seeds and goji berries. These all have amazing health benefits, chia seeds have loads of protein, flax have omega 3 and goji berries have lots of vitamins and are known as a "super food". Other toppings I have are granola, agave syrup or maple syrup, coconut yoghurt or coconut frozen yoghurt (The Coconut Collaborative do the best coconut yog I've ever tasted), toasted oats, dried fruits, fresh fruits (papaya and passion fruit are especially nice), any seeds or nuts (I tend to use pumpkin seeds), chopped up Nakd bar is also nice on top and sometimes a splash of plant based milk or coconut water is.

I hope this post inspires you to make some smoothie bowls as it's really really important to make sure you're getting enough sugary carbs (fructose) early on in the day so your brain can function. CARBS ARE NOT THE ENEMY! We need them as they feed our brain, our brain runs off glucose which is found in sugary carbs. It's what you consume with the carbs with that makes them bad, like oil, meat and dairy due to that fact they all digest at different rates in our body. However everything in moderation is absolutely fine! Thanks for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment